Thursday, August 7, 2008

Chicken Enchiladas with Green Salsa



4 tablespoons canola oil
2 small zucchini, diced
1 small red onion, chopped
1 ear of corn, kernels cut off the cob (about 1/2 cup)
1 2 1/2- to 3-pound rotisserie chicken, meat shredded
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack
Kosher salt and pepper
12 6-inch corn tortillas
1 pound tomatillos, husks removed
1 jalapeño, seeded
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 cup sour cream (optional)

Heat oven to 400° F. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, onion, and corn and cook, stirring, until the onion begins to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the chicken, Monterey Jack, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix to combine.
Wipe out the skillet and heat the remaining oil over medium heat. One at a time, cook the tortillas in the oil until softened, 10 to 15 seconds per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Divide the chicken mixture among the tortillas, roll them up, and place seam-side down in a large baking dish. Bake until heated through, 8 to 10 minutes.
In a food processor, pulse the tomatillos, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt until finely chopped. Serve the enchiladas with the salsa and sour cream, if using.






This recipe is one I found in my Real Simple magazine. The dinner was awesome!



I did not follow the recipe completely. I am the only one in the family who likes zucchini so I left that out. And I did not mix the corn with the chicken- the little people in the house are quite picky. We had corn on the side.



Instead of softening tortillas in oil, I splashed some water on them, put them between two plates and stuck them in the microwave. I did 3 at a time for about 30-40 seconds. After I rolled the enchiladas, I sprinkled a tiny bit of olive oil on top of them.



And the last thing I changed up, I added one garlic clove and some red onions to the salsa. The salsa is really good.



I served these enchiladas with corn (since I did not mix it with the chicken) and black beans.


1 comment:

Mikael Behrens said...

I made this with my girlfriend last night. We both loved them. Thanks!